I was given the opportunity to work in Philadelphia during the summer in the STEP-UP research program funded by the NIH. It was a great experience overall and I am very happy I did it because it gave me the flexibility to travel a bit as well as work and add to my CV. Considering this was my last summer, I am pretty happy with how it turned out!
In July, my person moved halfway across the country. So instead of wallowing, I spent the 4th with family in Arlington, VA and loved every minute :) Returning to work was not fun after pooltime and nap time every day!
I worked until the first of August when I went to Kansas City, MO for the American Academy of Family Physicians National Conference. I went with a classmate (we are co-presidents of the Family Medicine Interest Group at our school) and we stayed outside the city at our other classmate's house. It was an awesome experience! The conference was cool and we have a bunch of ideas about how to get 1st year students excited about Fam Med and primary care. Hanging out with Max and his family was awesome - super nice and welcoming. Loved it.
From Kansas City, I flew two more states over to Utah! I was only there for 6 days but it was a good visit. Saw two of my best friends a lot and got to spend lots of time with family, which is something I am seriously learning the value of being so far from home.
I flew back to Philly from SLC and two days later started my second year of medical school at Temple University School of Medicine! I made it through the first week (barely)! I am so excited for this year to get underway - the focus of our curriculum is pathological states of everything so we learn the cool diseases an how to diagnose, treat, or manage them.
At the end of this school year I am taking the first medical licensing exam and moving to Pittsburgh where I will be completing my clinical years of medical school. I can't believe how much has happened in just one year and how much I have learned in school and about myself. School makes everything else seem trivial but luckily I am living with two if my best friends this year (and Morty of course) so we will all pull through together.
So that's it! You will be hearing more from me this year I hope :)
hasta pronto
L
![]() |
| At the Jersey Shore before moving day |

No comments:
Post a Comment